News from the Tennessee Valley Living Today
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2007
VALLEY | LIVING TODAY | HOME | ARCHIVES | COLUMNS

VALLEY OF YEARS PAST
Mary Lott

The Decatur Nursery Team won the fast-pitch softball championship in 1951. They celebrated at Woodall’s Barbecue. First row, from left, are Ed Brazelton, Joe Jones, Ed Wells, Jack Allen, bat boy Johnny Johnson and Clyde Murphree. Second row are coach Howard Johnson, Junior Wallace, Leldon Flack, George Murphree, unknown and Mark Long. The team played at Delano Park.
Courtesy photo
The Decatur Nursery Team won the fast-pitch softball championship in 1951. They celebrated at Woodall’s Barbecue. First row, from left, are Ed Brazelton, Joe Jones, Ed Wells, Jack Allen, bat boy Johnny Johnson and Clyde Murphree. Second row are coach Howard Johnson, Junior Wallace, Leldon Flack, George Murphree, unknown and Mark Long. The team played at Delano Park.

American Legion dedicates arena to fallen heroes in ’32

75 years ago

Sept. 30-Oct. 7, 1932

The Morgan County Post of the American Legion dedicated its new Martin arena on Second Avenue to the fallen heroes of America.

A large crowd gathered for the event and Central High School’s band performed.

Sam H. Malone was elected president of the Decatur Kiwanis Club. Clyde Hendrix and E.W. “Dick” Kennedy were first and second vice presidents.

Dr. Redding Emens was elected as secretary of the Morgan County Medical Society.

50 years ago

Sept. 30-Oct. 7, 1957

The Decatur Credit Bureau, operated by Mr. and Mrs. Troy Martin, marked its 21st anniversary.

The bureau, sometimes referred to as an “information bank,” allowed a person, if he had a good reputation of paying bills, to buy items quickly he couldn’t pay cash for immediately.

It also enabled businessmen and professionals to keep names of individuals with unsatisfactory credit ratings.

Woody Wheeler, 15, won the outstanding member of the Boys Club of Decatur for September.

25 years

Sept. 30-Oct. 7, 1982

The Decatur City Council chose the Fire Department’s senior assistant chief as the city’s fire chief. Paul Kilgore, 56, joined the force in 1943 and was named assistant fire chief in 1964.

The Rev. Steve Wesson became pastor of Sherman Street Church of God in Decatur.

He came from College Park Church of God in Huntsville and had pastored churches in California, Indiana and Tennessee.

10 years ago

Sept. 30-Oct. 7, 1997

Betty Brandon Sims was honored as a Centennial Leader for the University of Tennessee, Knoxville College of Human Ecology.

Sims was active in the Decatur community for many years and was awarded the Decatur Chamber of Commerce Small Business Person of the Year award in 1990.

A new Decatur business, Behind the Glass, had a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The store offered picture framing, art and gifts and the owners were Gavin and Leigh Ann Underwood.

MARY LOTT

The Daily welcomes the loan of vintage photos of people, places and events in Morgan, Limestone and Lawrence counties for use in “Valley ofYears Past.”Please call Mary Lott at 340-2452 or e-mail her at mary.lott@decaturdaily.com. Photos will be returned.

Mary Lott Mary Lott
DAILY Staff Writer

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page


  www.decaturdaily.com