News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

Smoldering mattress a factor in Summerdale man's death

SUMMERDALE (AP) — A smoldering mattress apparently contributed to the death of a Summerdale auto mechanic at his home.

Police said 32-year-old Casey Dutton appeared to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with the burning mattress.

Summerdale Police Chief D.R. Riebeling said Dutton's body was found on a living room sofa Tuesday morning by a co-worker who went to the victim's home on Alabama 59 looking for him after he didn't show up for work.

The mattress burned in a bedroom with a closed door, but the smoke from the fire had circulated throughout the house, sapping the room of oxygen, the chief said.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page


  www.decaturdaily.com