News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
SUNDAY, MARCH 4, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

Carbon monoxide sends 6 to hospital

By Deangelo McDaniel
dmcdaniel@decaturdaily.com · 340-2469

Six people were transported to Decatur General Hospital late Saturday with apparent elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood.

“They were complaining about headaches when we arrived on the scene,” Lt. Don Palmer of Decatur Fire and Rescue said.

The names and conditions of the victims were not available. Ambulances took them to the hospital about 10 p.m.

Palmer said Decatur Utilities found the carbon monoxide level to be high in the victims’ mobile home at Kimberly Court on Alabama 20 west of Decatur.

“Right now, we don’t know the source of the carbon monoxide because they don’t have gas heat,” he said.

He said the family grilled earlier in a detached room next to the mobile home, “but I don’t see how carbon monoxide would have gotten in the trailer.”

The victims showed “quick improvement” once emergency officials got them outside the mobile home, Palmer said.

The incident in Kimberly Court comes just more than six months after Billy Wayne Thomas, 47, of Somerville died from carbon monoxide poisoning that occurred on his boat.

The level of carbon monoxide in the boat, the Lady Lynn, was enough to kill a man in three breaths, investigators said.

The boat was docked at Riverwalk Marina when rescuers found Thomas and four other people unconscious on Aug. 19.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, but if breathed in high levels can kill in minutes. The burning of any fuel, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal, produces carbon monoxide.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page


  www.decaturdaily.com