News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news

Defense attorney Steve Farese Sr. uses the shotgun found in Mary Winkler’s vehicle shortly after her capture in Orange Beach to make a point in her murder trial Friday in Selmer, Tenn.
AP photo by Russell Ingle
Defense attorney Steve Farese Sr. uses the shotgun found in Mary Winkler’s vehicle shortly after her capture in Orange Beach to make a point in her murder trial Friday in Selmer, Tenn.

Winkler: ‘My
ugly came out’

Prosecutors play tape of Tenn. minister’s wife confessing to slaying

By Beth Rucker
Associated Press Writer

SELMER, Tenn. — A preacher’s wife told authorities she shot her husband after a long buildup of domestic problems, according to an audiotape that prosecutors played Friday at her murder trial.

Mary Winkler, 33, can be heard crying as she is questioned by Alabama authorities a day after her husband, Matthew Winkler, was found shot dead in the parsonage of his church in this western Tennessee town.

Matthew Winkler was a 1993 Austin High School graduate. His father, Dan Winkler, was a preacher at Beltline Church of Christ in Decatur from 1988 to 1994.

A day after her husband’s body was found, Mary Winkler was arrested on the Alabama coast, about 340 miles away, with their three young daughters.

Investigators have said she admitted shooting her husband on March 22, 2006, and that it had something to do with his constant criticism. On the tape, she says the couple’s domestic problems had reached a boiling point after many years of conflict.

“It’s just a lot of stupid stuff,” she said. “I love him dearly, but gosh, he just nailed me in the ground. ... The first (part) of our marriage, I just took it like a mouse, didn’t think anything different. My mom just took it from my dad — that stupid scenario.”

But Winkler said she got a job at the post office and that experience taught her to stand up for herself. “That’s the problem. I have nerve now, and I have self-esteem. My ugly came out.”

Winkler told Alabama Bureau of Investigation Agent Stan Stabler on the tape that her husband had threatened her before. “He said something that really scared me. I don’t know, something life-threatening,” she said, without elaborating further.

But she also says she doesn’t want her husband’s name smeared.

“He was so good, so good, too. It was just a weakness. I think a lot of times he had high blood pressure that he’d never go enough to the doctor to get medicine for it. He was a mighty fine person, and that’s the thing,” she said.

“Just say, ‘The lady was a moron, evil woman,’ and let’s go on with it. That’s fine. ... That’s my point of view.”

Mary Winkler during her her trial Friday in Selmer, Tenn.
AP photo by Lindsay McDonald
Mary Winkler during her her trial Friday in Selmer, Tenn.
She told Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Chris Carpenter that the couple had begun to experience marital problems about five years into their marriage and that the trouble had been building in the final year and a half.

The statement Winkler gave to Carpenter was not recorded, though Carpenter took brief notes and had Winkler sign them.

“I don’t remember going to the closet or getting the gun,” Winkler said, according to the signed statement. “The next thing I remember was hearing a loud boom, and I remember thinking it wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be.”

The statement said Matthew Winkler criticized Mary for “the way I walk, what I eat, everything. It was just building up to this point. I was just tired of it. I guess I just got to a point and snapped.”

Winkler’s lawyer has said she intended to hold her husband at gunpoint only to force him to talk about his personal problems after a situation involving their 1-year-old daughter, Breanna. The defense did not describe the situation.

A prosecutor has described Matthew Winkler as a good father and a man who trusted his wife.

Prosecutor Walt Freeland has said bank managers were closing in on a check-kiting scheme that Mary Winkler wanted to conceal from her husband. He said Mary Winkler had become caught up in a swindle known as the “Nigerian scam,” which promises riches to victims who send money to cover the processing expenses.

But defense attorney Steve Farese said Mary Winkler handled the family finances only because she did everything her husband told her. He said she was abused verbally, emotionally and physically.

Winkler’s trial could last up to two weeks. The jury — including a Baptist minister and woman who said she had been a victim of domestic abuse — will spend that time sequestered in a small-town motel without television, radio or cell phones.

Testimony was expected to continue on Saturday.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page