News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 25, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

Daily photo by Jonathan Palmer

Fire at Civil War tavern

Athens Fire Department Capt. Mike Clem reports the status of a fire at 512 N. Jefferson St. on Tuesday. The fire, which broke out at 8:10 p.m. in the kitchen of one of three apartments, is believed to have been caused by an electrical short and heavily damaged one apartment.

It spread up a wall, through the attic and to the roof, according to Athens firefighters. The other apartments suffered smoke and water damage. No one was injured.

The building's owner, Steve Bauer, said the building was a tavern called The Grove during the Civil War. Firefighters were still putting out hot spots at 10 p.m. Nine people in all reside in the building, including three in the apartment where the fire started.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page


  www.decaturdaily.com