Fund set up for family who lost home to blaze
By Kristen Bishop
firstname.lastname@example.org · 340-2443
MOULTON — Misty Kelley had just pulled her family out of a financial crisis when another catastrophe sent her back to where she started, said Kelley's employer, Gloria Oliver of Gloria's Good Health in Decatur.
Kelley and her two daughters, Chelsea Flanagan, 12, and Hollie Flanagan, 15, had lived with Kelley's parents for months and were anxious to find a place of their own, said Oliver. Kelley scrimped and saved until she was finally able to move her family into a mobile home in early April.
But the celebration didn't last long, said Oliver. On April 18, a faulty ceiling fan caused a fire that destroyed their home and nearly all of their belongings. No one was home at the time.
The only thing that survived the blaze was a Bible given to her youngest daughter on her birthday in March, said Kelley.
"I guess God was looking out for it," she said. "It wasn't burned, smoked or even wet."
Since the fire, Kelley and her daughters have moved back into her parents' home while she tries to save enough money to replace their belongings and find a new place to live.
In the meantime, friends and co-workers have come to her aid, donating clothes, furniture and other household items.
Oliver, who hired Kelley seven years ago, set up an account at AmSouth Bank to collect donations for the family.
She also urged anyone with items they would like to donate to bring them to Gloria's Good Health on Sixth Avenue. Kelley said they are desperate for kitchen appliances and clothes. Her daughters wear junior sizes 5 and 17, and she wears a junior size 11.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!