News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2007


Police arrest suspect in beating

Investigators arrested a man in the April 25 beating of another man with a metal pipe following a dispute between the men’s daughters, Decatur police said Wednesday.

William Fitgerald Holden, 40, turned himself in to police on the charge of second-degree assault.

Police said Holden used a pipe to bludgeon Gerry Sykes, 41, and left Sykes lying in a pool of blood in the middle of Third Avenue Southwest at Betty Street.

- Seth Burkett

Police say chase left tires smoking

A chase on Alabama 20 West left the suspect’s tires smoking when he finally pulled over for police, Decatur police said.

Police spokesman Lt. Chris Mathews said an officer running radar on the highway clocked a Honda Civic traveling at about 110 mph in a 45-mph zone at about 1 a.m. Thursday.

The officer gave chase, but the driver maintained high speeds and began weaving in and out of traffic, Mathews said.

The driver finally slammed on the brakes and pulled into the Highway 20 Trailer Park.

“The officer said that as he approached the car, smoke was still coming from the tires,” Mathews said.

The driver, Alexis Cortez Lopez, 18, of Decatur, faces charges of reckless endangerment, driving without obtaining a license, no proof of insurance and having a switched tag.

- Seth Burkett

Man assaulted by group of robbers

A man told police a gang of thieves wearing red masks attacked him as he walked home from a friend’s house early Wednesday, Decatur police said.

Michael William Smith, 20, was on Willow Avenue Southwest when four or five males jumped out and began demanding money, according to a report filed with police.

Lt. Chris Mathews, a police spokesman, said Smith told police the robbers began to punch and kick him and hit him with a broomstick when he told them he didn’t have any money.

“A friend of the victim saw what was happening and ran to help, but when he got close, one of the suspects pulled out a gun and told him to get back,” Mathews said.

The robbers left empty-handed.

Decatur General Hospital treated and released Smith, who suffered injuries to his face and back, Mathews said.

- Seth Burkett

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page