News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news

A fire erupted at a mobile home Sunday and ignited again Monday in the Coxey community.
Courtesy photo
A fire erupted at a mobile home Sunday and ignited again Monday in the Coxey community.

Ammo explodes at Coxey home; pets missing

By Holly Hollman 340-2445

COXEY — A boa constrictor and tank of fish survived a mobile home fire that erupted Sunday night and ignited again Monday.

The fire caused ammunition in a bedroom to explode, according to firefighters and Athens-Limestone 911.

The family's cats, dogs and iguana are missing, Clements Volunteer Firefighter Heather Hagood said.

The mobile home is at 18227 Cox Road in the Coxey community west of Athens.

Hagood did not know how much ammunition was in the home, but the ammo continued to pop throughout the day.

Hagood said the fire started in a bedroom.

Firefighters fought the blaze Sunday night for three hours. The fire spread to grass in front of the home.

Hagood said the blaze did not destroy the doublewide mobile home until it ignited again Monday morning. Black and dark gray clouds of smoke surged from the home, obscuring the view. Winds blew debris throughout the area.

Departments from Clements, Owens and Rogersville were at the site most of Monday.

A female who lived in the mobile home, who did not give her name, said she did not know what started the fire Sunday. She said no one was home Monday when it erupted again, and she did not know anything about an explosion.

She said four people live in the home.

"Sometimes life sucks, but my husband and I both work, and we'll get through this," she said.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page