News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

City expects to start work on Spring Avenue in '08

By Catherine Godbey
cgodbey@decaturdaily.com 340-2441

In 2004, Decatur received federal authorization to widen Spring Avenue Southwest.

After three years of research and developing designs,
the city is anticipating construction to begin within the year.

When Gresham Smith and Partners, a Birmingham architectural and engineering
firm, finalized right-of-way designs, Decatur moved one step closer to widening Spring Avenue.

The designs specify the amount of land required to expand the avenue to four lanes from Cedar Lake Road to Day Road.

With the designs complete, Decatur's next objective is to buy the land needed for expansion. Mark Petersohn, director of the city's engineering and public works departments, said City Attorney Herman Marks will handle the right-of-way acquisitions.

Marks and Decatur's legal department are drawing up contracts and negotiating with the property owners.

According to Petersohn, Decatur is adhering to its timeline to begin relocating the utilities by the end of this year.

Decatur residents can anticipate construction starting in spring 2008 and lasting into 2009.

The Metropolitan Planning Organization, which oversees transportation planning for
the Decatur area, approved federal and local funding
for the project at its meeting July 6.

The combined expense of utility relocation and construction will total $4.4 million.

Federal funding will cover 80 percent of this total while Decatur will supply the remaining 20 percent.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page



  www.decaturdaily.com