Car wash to raise funds for burned boy
By Deangelo McDaniel
HARTSELLE — Hunter Tillman, the fun-loving child who was looking forward to starting kindergarten in August, is in serious condition at Children’s Hospital in Birmingham.
“He’s doing better, but we still need everybody to pray for him,” said his mother Vicky Tillman.
Hunter suffered third-degree burns over 29 percent of his upper body during an accident July 2.
He has had two eight-hour surgeries, but a skin graft on his arm didn’t take, his mother said.
“Hunter will need plastic surgery on his ear and face after the grafting part is finished,” she said.
How it happened
The accident occurred while his older brother was trying to pour gasoline on a brush pile in the family’s yard.
“We had been piling up stuff, but couldn’t burn it because of the burn ban,” the mother said.
With the ban lifted, the Tillmans were burning the brush. The pile was smoldering when Hunter’s older brother tried to toss a cup of gas on the pile.
“The cup caught fire and he threw it over his shoulder,” the mother said. “Hunter was standing behind him and his shirt caught on fire.”
She said the fire burned Hunter on his face, left ear and back of his neck.
Hunter, who would be a student at F.E. Burleson in August, will miss the start of school, his parents said.
Helping the family
To help the family with expenses while they are at Children’s Hospital, employees at Oh!Bryan’s Family Steak House are having a car wash at the business on Alabama 36 on Monday.
“His uncle came in here and we wanted to do something to help the family,” restaurant employee Maggie Jones said.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!