News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
THURSDAY, JULY 26, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

School board dismisses principal at Hoover High School after 1 year

HOOVER (AP) — The Hoover school board on Wednesday voted unanimously not to renew the contract of Hoover High School principal Richard Bishop.

The 4-0 vote followed a 30-minute executive session. Bishop has been Hoover High's principal for one year.

Hoover schools Superintendent Andy Craig recommended the dismissal. He said Bishop was serving a one-year probationary contract.

Craig hired a retired federal judge last month to look into accusations of improprieties at Hoover High, including grade changing, inappropriate preferential treatment of athletes, and problems with control of the school's football program.

Craig told board members Wednesday that his recommendation to dismiss Bishop was not linked to the continuing investigation.

Bishop said through attorneys on Tuesday that he would sue the school board if it did not renew his contract.

"I've done nothing wrong, and I'm very disappointed in today's decision," Bishop said after the vote. He said he appreciated the support he has received from students and faculty at Hoover High and cited academic improvements that have occurred under his watch.

Ken Jarnagin, who started this month as the school system's chief academic officer, was named interim principal.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page



  www.decaturdaily.com