News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news

Falkville fire contained to utility room

By Ronnie Thomas 340-2438

FALKVILLE — A fire Thursday afternoon damaged the utility room of a brick residence at 62 Stisher Drive, causing smoke and heat damage to the remainder of the home, an official said.

Chris Free, Falkville police chief and a captain with the volunteer fire department, said two engines and seven firefighters responded to the 2:30 p.m. call. Dairy farmer Kyle Asherbranner and his wife live there.

"Kyle put clothes in the dryer earlier while they were having lunch," Free said. "She left for Hartselle, and he went to the fields to mow. He saw smoke and came running in to call 911."

"When we arrived, smoke was showing, but there were no visible flames," he said. "But upon entering the house, Assistant Chief Mike Butler and firefighters Clint Thrasher and Heather Parker located the fire in the utility room off the kitchen. We contained the fire to that room."

Free, who would not speculate on how the fire started, said firefighters departed at 3:40 p.m.

"We dispatched Somerville and Ebenezer for backup but canceled them," Free said.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page