Snake's near miss reason for concern
HARTSELLE — A Hartselle man said an apparent near miss by a striking copperhead caused him to call for help.
Cecil Dotson, 51, of 1323 Sparkman St. N.W., said he was walking in the backyard Wednesday about 6 p.m., when a copperhead, about 4 feet long, slithered out from underneath a shed.
"He didn't get me. He missed me," Dotson said. "But when he struck at me, I thought he might have got me on the back of my left leg."
Dotson said he waited a while before calling the Hartselle Fire Department.
Fire Chief Steve Shelton said Engine 1 responded and remained for a brief time. Shelton said Dotson refused medical treatment or transport to the hospital.
"They couldn't find any fang marks," Dotson said.
Shelton noted, "Calls such as this one are unusual for us. You rarely hear about snakebites in the city."
And the snake?
"I killed it with a rake," Dotson said. "I haven't checked. It might be still out there. I'm pretty sure it's a copperhead."
- Ronnie Thomas
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!