News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news

Man faces officer assault charges

A Lawrence County man was in jail Tuesday after allegedly assaulting Town Creek Police Chief Jerry L. Garrett, Garrett said.

Robert T. Sykes, 19, was arrested Saturday at Creekview Apartments and faces a felony charge of assaulting a police officer, Garrett said. The charge stems from an Aug. 7 altercation in Town Creek, when Garrett said he tried to arrest Sykes on a warrant for burglary and theft charges.

Sykes fled and was arrested Saturday by Town Creek Police and officers from surrounding communities, Garrett said.

Garrett said he only suffered a minor ankle injury during the incident. Sykes was arrested after officers found him hiding in a closet in an apartment, Garrett said.

Sykes remained in Lawrence County Jail Tuesday with no bond set.

Nancy Glasscock

Leak City training facility burglarized

ATHENS — A city with population 0 was a victim of a burglary Monday night.

Athens police Capt. Marty Bruce said someone took $10,700 in electronics and other items from Leak City.

Leak City is a training facility on Sanderfer Road for the Athens Gas Department. It is laid out over 2.5 acres as a small city with roads and homes.

Bruce said someone pried open the west side door to the training building and took eight Dell computers with monitors, eight head seats, a microwave and patio table umbrella.

Anyone with information can call Detective Dustin Lansford at 233-8700.

Holly Hollman

Decatur chase has shocking conclusion

Officers used a Taser to bring down a man following a chase through a Southwest Decatur neighborhood Monday night, Decatur police said.

Lt. Frank DeButy, a police spokesman, said police received a call at about 9:35 p.m. from a driver who told them he or she was being chased on Beltline Road Southwest by another driver. DeButy did not identify the alleged victim.

The suspect driver, David Wayne Barton, 34, of Decatur, did not stop for police when they tried to pull him over, DeButy said.

Police pursued Barton from Beltline Road to the area of Raintree Apartments, where Barton exited the vehicle and attempted to flee, DeButy said.

Officers used a Taser to bring Barton under control, DeButy said.

DeButy said officers followed standard procedure by taking Barton to Decatur General Hospital when they discovered one of the Taser probes had been bent during the struggle. Barton was not injured, DeButy said.

Police charged Barton with running a stop sign, having a switched tag and driving while suspended. He was also wanted on multiple domestic violence warrants, DeButy said.

Seth Burkett

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page