Firefighters say cigarette possible brush fire cause
By Nancy Glasscock
RED BANK — A stray cigarette butt may have caused a roadside brush fire Tuesday that spread, said Red Bank Fire Chief Lawrence E. Fuqua.
Firefighters from Town Creek and Red Bank responded four times throughout the day to the fire that consumed about five acres north of Town Creek on Alabama 101, Fuqua said. Firefighters first responded at 10 a.m. and again at noon, 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The Alabama Forestry Commission used bulldozers to keep the fire from spreading, Fuqua said.
“They tried to save us a lot of back-breaking work by cutting a fire line, and that helped some, but then it jumped the fire line,” he said.
The Tuesday fire was the second off Alabama 101 in the past two weeks, Fuqua said. Firefighters spent about two hours last week containing a three-acre fire in a hayfield less than a mile north of Lawrence County 314, he said.
Moulton Fire Chief Ryan Jolly said Moulton firefighters have responded to two brush fires since July. The fires were sparked Wednesday by loose scrap metal that fell from a truck near Alabama 157 and Alabama 33.
Both fires consumed less than a quarter acre along the roadside, Jolly said.
Residents seem to be taking precautions to prevent structure and brush fires, he said.
“People are afraid to burn anything because they’re afraid they’ll burn their house down,” Jolly said.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!