News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2007
HOME | NEWS | ARCHIVES | OBITUARIES | WEATHER

Judge OKs out-of-district students in IB Program

By Bayne Hughes
hughes@decaturdaily.com · 340-2432

U.S. District Court Judge R. David Proctor issued an order Friday let Decatur City Schools to let out-of-district students attend the International Baccalaureate Program.

Proctor issued the order after school board and plaintiffs’ attorneys and the U.S. Department of Justice entered a joint motion in September.

Agreement

The school board asked for permission earlier this summer but could not reach an agreement with plaintiffs’ attorney Stanley Gray until almost six weeks into the school year.

At the time of the motion, Austin and Decatur schools’ IB coordinators said it would be difficult for a students to start the IB Diploma Program for juniors and seniors after the six-week grade period ends.

The order comes in the eighth week of the school year.

“It would be difficult (for a student to start this late),” Houston said. “But, if a student really wants to, we’ll certainly work with him or her. This is probably more significant, however, for next fall.”

Houston said it would not, however, be too late for a freshman or sophomore to get into the pre-diploma classes and the IB Middle Years Program. These advanced classes prepare students for the Diploma Program.

The school system would accept up to 80 students, with each paying an annual tuition of $1,000. This doesn’t include the IB Diploma Program fees, which Houston estimates are about $600 per student.

Fees cover the six IB-required tests to earn a Diploma Program.

Out-of-district students interested in the IB program should call 552-3000.

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or
another
story.

Email This Page



  www.decaturdaily.com