Tuscaloosa infant drowns in bucket of water
TUSCALOOSA (AP) — An infant died after falling into a bucket of water, authorities in Tuscaloosa said Wednesday.
Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, said the boy’s mother called 911 Tuesday morning after finding her son unresponsive in their Green Village Mobile Home Park home.
The 9-month-old was taken by ambulance to DCH Regional Medical Center, where he died.
Baker said Wednesday afternoon that the death has been ruled an accident.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 115 children under 5 drown each year from hazards around the home other than swimming pools.
The commission said the tall, straight sides of buckets and their stability make it almost impossible for top-heavy babies to get out once they fall in headfirst, the The Tuscaloosa News reported.
But most in-home drownings happen in bathtubs.
Lt. Travis Parker, spokesman for the Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue Service told the newspaper that firefighters recommend emptying buckets or containers of water or petroleum products when childproofing a home to prevent the child from drowning or being overcome by fumes.
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!