News from the Tennessee Valley State, Local and National news

Hartselle war widow Tiffany Little with her daughter, Kylee Andrea Little, at Decatur General Hospital on Thursday.
Daily photo by John Godbey
Hartselle war widow Tiffany Little with her daughter, Kylee Andrea Little, at Decatur General Hospital on Thursday.

War widow gives birth at Decatur General
Baby's father
killed in Iraq

Army Spc. Kyle Little died in May 8 bombing; daughter is named Kylee

By Catherine Godbey 340-2441

A pink ribbon and pink teddy bear hang on the door.

Baskets of flowers wrapped with pink ribbons fill the hospital room.

Decatur General Hospital's loud speaker plays a lullaby, signaling the arrival of a new baby.

Inside Room 503, family members congregate around the 1-day-old baby, celebrating the birth of Kylee Andrea Little.

The 7-pound, 3-ounce baby girl born Wednesday inherited the name of her father, Kyle Andrew Little, the father she will never meet.

Tiffany Little, the baby's mother, welcomed Kylee into the world five months and 16 days after her husband's departure from it.

"The first thing I said to her when I held her was 'Daddy and I love you,' " Little said.

On May 8, north of Baghdad a roadside bomb exploded killing U.S. Army Spc. Kyle Little.

The Massachusetts native, Boston Red Sox fan and U.S. soldier died in his second tour of duty in Iraq. He died at 20. And he died before receiving the videotape of a sonogram that showed his daughter's heartbeat.

Spurred by the desire to serve his country and prove himself to his younger brother and sister, Little enlisted in the Army in 2004 at age 17.

"He didn't like school and he wanted to prove that even with just a GED (general equivalency diploma) a person could make something out of himself," said Little.

The couple's whirlwind love story began in May 2006 after Little's first tour of duty, while he was stationed at Fort Benning, Ga.

Bowling outing

"We met through mutual friends while bowling," Little remembered. "It was one of his favorite things to do."

Their wedding took place nine months later on Feb. 8, a month before his deployment to Iraq.

Before Little's departure, the newlyweds decided to attempt to begin their family.

"When he was training for Iraq in California he called me and said 'I want us to try to get pregnant when I get back,' and it just happened," Little said.

'Miracle' pregnancy

The pregnancy, in Little's eyes, represented a miracle. She had wondered if pregnancy was an option, given the amount of time left before Little's deployment and information she received from doctors who believed pregnancy would be difficult for her.

"It was just meant to be, wasn't it pretty girl?" Little whispered to the baby resting in her arms.

Little expects her in-laws, who live in Massachusetts and Maine, to officially meet Kylee soon so they can see their first grandchild, the grandchild whose ears and cheeks favor her father.

For now, mother and daughter will start their lives as a family at their home in Hartselle, where a nursery filled with Little's treasures awaits.

The American flag that covered Little's coffin and flew in memory of him at a Boston Red Sox game is displayed.

The guitar he strummed leans against the closet.

A framed picture of him sits on the table.

"I am excited and extremely happy right now," Little beamed. "There have been a lot of ups and downs these past nine months, but all in all if it hadn't been for her (Kylee), I wouldn't have made it."

Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!

Leave feedback
on this or

Email This Page