News from the Tennessee Valley Opinion
SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2007


Children of illegal parents a problem we must address

To The Daily: I am writing in response to the article “Families Divided.” I have a suggestion of one way to curb this problem. Create a law that basically says if a child is born to a family where one or both parents are illegal immigrants, then they are not granted citizenship just because they were born in America.

In the situations where one parent is a legal immigrant or American citizen, then they can file legal papers to adopt the child. Have it similar to the way people adopt children from other countries.

I have no problem with people wanting to come to America and better themselves, but it needs to be done legally. If this problem is not addressed, we could one day have a president whose parents are illegal immigrants.

Terry Adam Turner

Let parents who break laws avoid prison time

To The Daily: The children always suffer from the actions of their parents. If parents who are convicted of running a meth lab in their home are causing their minor children to be forced into foster care and hurting them, would it not be compassionate to allow the mother to stay out of prison in order to care for the children?

Children of people who break our laws by coming here illegally are no different when their parents are caught and they are forced into foster care.

If we are going to have compassion for one group of lawbreakers, why not the same compassion for all groups of lawbreakers?

Roy F. Woods

Leave feedback.

Email This Page