BROOKE'S HIGH FIVE
Daily Sports Writer Brooke Milam ranks the area’s top five teams in both Class 4A-6A and 1A-3A:
Class 4A-6A Top Five
1. East Limestone (4-0): The undefeated Class 4A Indians try to snap a two-year losing streak against 2A Tanner this week. The road game with the Rattlers will be a good test for East Limestone before the 4A, Region 7 title game at No.1-ranked North Jackson on Oct 5.
2. Decatur (3-1): The Red Raiders will not overlook Sparkman this week, but a date at Class 5A No. 2 Russellville for the 5A, Region 8 championship looms Oct. 12. Decatur built a rivalry that is still strong with the Senators in previous years playing in Class 6A. As an extra motivator, Decatur will arrive in Harvest as Sparkman’s homecoming opponent this week.
3. Austin (2-2): The Black Bears are fresh off a complete-game effort last week and have a Class 6A, Region 8 win over Sparkman to show for it. Austin will try to stay consistent this week, hosting second-ranked 5A-power Russellville.
4. Hartselle (1-3): The Tigers’ offense woke up last week, putting up 54 points in a Class 5A, Region 8 road win over Muscle Shoals. Hartselle hits the road again this week, trying for its first consecutive wins of the season when it travels to nonregion rival and 5A No. 10 Cullman.
5. Athens (2-2): Athens reaches the half-way point in the season with an even record. After falling to Decatur last week, the Golden Eagles will try to rebound this week when they get 5A No. 5 Jess Lanier in a nonregion contest.
Class 1A-3A Top Five
1. Hazlewood (4-0): The Class 1A fifth-ranked Golden Bears’ defense has been the story, but its offense is becoming a force as well. The historically strong Hazlewood program seems to have another squad worthy of hanging high expectations on.
2. Addison (3-1): The Bulldogs have reeled off three wins after a season-opening loss to R.A. Hubbard.
Addison landed at No. 8 in the Class 2A polls this week, undefeated in 2A, Region 8 as it prepares to face nonregion foe Meek.
3. Tanner (3-1): The Rattlers’ only loss this season was a one-point decision against Class 2A, Region 8 leading Red Bay. Now, 2A Tanner faces 4A No. 4 East Limestone this week in a county rivalry game that the Rattlers have won the past two years by one point each.
4. Speake (3-1): Beating R.A. Hubbard for the first time in school history last week provided a big boost for the Bobcats. With a signature win already this season, Class 1A Speake is looking to build on last year’s history-making year, when the Bobcats hosted a first-round playoff game for the first time since 1977.
5. R.A. Hubbard (2-2): Class 1A R.A. Hubbard’s record is even on the season, but the Chiefs have not put together consecutive wins this year. A win this week will be a tall order, facing 3A Munford, which had not lost this season until last week.
Save $84.50 a year off our newsstand price:
Subscribe today for only 38 cents a day!